Sunday 15 November 2009

A Waking Moment

This is my ordinary morning. I wake up to my cell phone's alarm clock. The noise is a thousand bouncing springs and one large, cartoon, dancing ostrich playing an equally absurd instrument directing the springs in a musical cacophony. When I turn the alarm off I begin making breakfast. This almost always is a banana, oatmeal with brown sugar, one protein shake and coffee.

By the time my oatmeal is ready, without fail I have a song in my head. I never know how the song got there only that I haven't heard it for a very long time. Sometimes I don't even know the name of the song only the lyrics and melody. For example, "Dr. my eyes have seen the years and the slow parade of fears..." who sings this? why am I singing this? Today's song was "born in the U.S.A." by Bruce Springsteen. Here are the problems: Not only do I not like these songs, I have no idea where they came from or the last time I heard them. This started a couple of months ago when I woke up, got out of bed, and started singing Journey's "don't stop believing". Luckily, I put this song on an ipod while I was in the U.S. when I went back for my sisters wedding and have been able to get it out of my head.

What I want to know is what does this mean? Am I secretly addicted to bad American "classics"? Will I become an overweight conservative who, while claiming to be a Christian, just finished a sentence that started with "Did you see that girl's ass?" Or does it simply mean I subconsciously miss the subtleties of American culture? Whatever the deeper meaning, if any, I know that when I wake up with 'Like a Virgin" in my head it's time to panic. (apologies to all those people wrapped up in the recent return of the 80's trend but I can't stand most pop-80's songs no matter how fun a dance party is.)

Is this a common phenomenon? Does anybody else have this problem? You probably do if you were"born! in the U.S.A"

No comments:

Post a Comment