Sunday 21 December 2008

Welcome to 97




It's the year 97 and five weeks ago I packed two suitcases, burdened two hospitable roommates with abandoned belongings and outstanding bills, had a short visit with my mom and then got on a plane. Destination: the "opposite side of the world". Because opposite is relative to where you are, for me this was Taiwan.

When I arrived in Taipei on November 13 it was raining, late, and I was ready to sleep. When Mike met me at the airport he was dressed in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Quite different from my Virginia appropriate coat and sweater. Now it is nearly Christmas and I am still walking about in just a t-shirt. The winter here is perfect for a reputably wet winter country. According to Yi Wen, this years winter is apparently warmer than usual. Thanks global warming!

Less than two weeks had passed when I was hired as an English teacher, officially joining the ranks of foreigners in Taiwan who are all, of course, teaching English. In the middle of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression I set a new personal record for how quickly I found a job. On top of that, it was set in a foreign country. You know what reputation proceeds you when after locals ask you,
"how long have you been in Taipei?"
and you reply "one month"
they follow up with, "do you have a girlfriend?"
Not only are all foreigners English teachers or students, but we are apparently all looking for Taiwanese girlfriends. Unfortunately, a lot of foreigners are here just slacking off, teaching English and trying to screw something Asian. you should see some of clowns walking around this city pretending to be on the paparazzi most shot list. I guess all cultures have their prejudices and all occupations have a stigma. Say what you want about me, at least my goal is to not move back to the states until I speak Chinese fluently.

It has been 97 years since the fall of Dynastic China and Taiwan has made quite a few achievements. Among democracy is the impressive claim to being the most convenient country in the world. Taipei has more convenient stores per capita than any other country. You think Starbucks is bad in the states? you can have two or three 7-11's on a block next to a Family Mart(convenient store) and a Hi-Life (conveniently, also a convenient store). They all sell the same stuff and for about the same price. Starbucks also has a lot of locations in Taipei. Between 7-11 and Starbucks they might own half the city.

As Paul Daley asked of you, so too do I. Please send me questions or suggestions for blogs. I have a couple to write so I am not experiencing the blog block yet but good ideas are always a need. Walk slow

No comments:

Post a Comment